Saturday, January 30, 2016

Clara and Claire: the End!

Tonight I finished writing Clara and Claire. Writing this book proved to be a challenge, and I cannot emphasize that enough. If it wasn't for my support group I don't think I would have finished it as soon as I did. I officially started Clara and Claire in September of 2015. Four months later, today, I completed it. The book ends with 34 chapters in total and a big announcement at the end of the book. That announcement I'll be revealing later --probably when Clara and Claire releases.
First of all, I did it. I actually reached the end of this book and did it in the time that I set as my deadline. I did not expect to reach the end this month --I thought sometimes I fell behind with my schedule for writing. But I did it, and the ending alone is a huge accomplishment for me. When I finished the Magicians series last year in July I felt so nervous about my the new adventure awaiting me. I knew right away that I wanted to write Clara and Claire. The idea for the story had been in my head for months prior to finishing Dyanna's story. But I waited and was patient, and I refused to start writing it until I was done with my series. Then Bloodline Inheritance released, and it finally hit me that I had finished my series. The series I had focused all of my time and passion on since 2010 was finally complete. I had to move onto the next novel, move onto new characters and a plot and setting... and it broke my heart a little bit. I'm not going to lie --it broke my heart a lot. I loved the story behind the Magicians series, and July was the first time in a long time that I finally had to wave goodbye to my series. It didn't mean it was gone to me forever; I still look back on those books for inspiration and motivation from time to time. But it meant I had to move forward and start the next great book.
It was a big task... It was one I was scared to death of.
So from July up until September I had no idea where to start. I rewrote chapter one countless times, and no matter what I did it seemed like I had nowhere to go. During those months I questioned writing Clara and Claire. I tried to think of other possibilities of what my next novel would be. But Clara's story stuck with me. I could not get her out of my head, no matter how hard I tried. And then in September I joined my writing support group, and that was what finally changed everything for me. I started writing again with more confidence. I shared my progress with other writings, who --like me--were in the mist of writing their next great book. For the first time I had a writing schedule --every night at 9--and stuck to it. I was writing like a mad woman, and at the start of September and following that I've never felt more alive. It was like how it had been with writing Cursed With Power for the first time. The newest of it all and the excitement and even the nerves of writing this novel kept me up at night. It kept me working hard, and it was not before long that I fell in love with the story. I fell in love with it, and despite any prior fears, I knew this was the next book for me.

I know this is a long post. I have so much I want to share about reaching the end of Clara and Claire, and there will be plenty of time for that. Most importantly, I just wanted to share a little backstory of how it all started out and how I got to where I am tonight. It means a lot to be at the end of this book. Though this is my fifth completed novel, I've never felt more challenged in my life. I know that the books after this will only bring more challenges and obstacles, but that's the fun in writing isn't it? 

So now comes the question of... what's next?
For me, the hardest part of this process is finally over. (I say that now because I'm not editing yet...) Next I'll be going to Staples and printing out the entire book to go through with a pen and edit. There are a lot of revisions I already have stored in my head and notebooks that need to be done. There's several new ideas I want to add in. I'm sure there will be a lot I add and delete in the next process of revisions and edits. Who knows how many times I'll read through this book until I'm satisfied. My goal is to release this book this year, but if I don't feel it's ready I am perfectly okay with waiting until it is perfect.

And while you're here, I'll let you in on a little secret. It's more of a surprise, and I just cannot hold it in any longer.
Remember the cover art for Thicker Than Blood? Alivia Anders is the talented artist behind it, and she will be designing the cover for Clara and Claire. I can't wait to share more details, but in the meantime just now that the cover is going to be amazing!!

Time for me to finally take a break from writing and celebrate. Hope you'll join me in the celebrations! :) Thank you so much to everyone for the support!
Lindsey Richardson

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please take the time to leave one. Thank you!