Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Writer Interviews: JULIE MUSIL

Writer Interviews are usually a weekly thing on the blog in which I get in contact with other writers on blogger through email and I interview them about their writing and such related topics.  Writers of various genres and so forth are interviewed and you of course are encouraged to ask about being interviewed.  From these interviews it is likely that we can all start knowing other writers such as ourselves better.
If you are a writer and would like to be interviewed just leave me a comment and I'll add you to the list.

Writer Interviews August 10 with Julie Musil
Julie Musil, a fictional and nonfictional writer, has joined us today.  You can follow her on her own blog, Julie Musil or you can read more about her on her website. If you have any further questions following what was mentioned in this interview you yourself will have to contact her.  Let's begin...


  • When did you first begin writing?
I've been writing since I was a child, but I didn't start taking it seriously until two years ago.  Since then I've been writing just about everyday and pursuing publication.
  • You've stated on Blogger that you write both fiction and nonfiction... What got you interested in both formats, seeing as they are so different?
I took a course at the Institute of Children's Literature, which focused on magazine writing for children.  One of my assignments was to write an article, and that was the beginning of my love for nonfiction.
  • Have you ever gotten anything published?
I've had several pieces published in ezines.  I'm excited that two of my articles are scheduled to be published in print magazines: one in a fall issue of Scholastic Math magazine, and another in Fun for Kidz magazine.
  • What is something of fiction and something of nonfiction that you have worked on or have been working on that you are most proud of?
I'm most proud that I finished a novel.  I never thought I'd do something like that.
  • Who do you find helps you the most when it comes to writing?  Do you have someone who inspires you, someone you go to advice for, etc?
My husband and three sons.  They not only inspire me with ideas, but they're also patient when I need to write "one more thing".
  • Is there anywhere you show off your work --such as somewhere on online if your work is not published?
I've linked my ezine publications on my website.  I don't post my unpublished work online.
  • As a writer, what is your number one piece of advice to other writers like us who are trying to get our work noticed?
How about four pieces of advice? Some of the things I've learned are:
  1. We must sit and write!  Talking about writing or reading about it won't produce a finished manuscript, nor get us published.
  2. We should polish our manuscripts, then send it out. Yes, it might get rejected, but we won't get it published if we don't get our work out there.
  3. We should move on to the next project. If we fret over every submission, we'll go crazy.  Writing the next story or article is the best anecdote for impatience.
  4. We must keep learning! There are plenty of writers and agents who blog, and are willing to share their advice. I tis up to us to absorb the information and put it into practice.
  • What is something you love about writing and something you hate?
I love almost everything about writing.  The research, the first draft, the revision.  The only thing I don't like? Rejections. But even those have a purpose, and I try to use them as a learning tool.
  • If you could thank one person right ow for how far you've come, who would it be and why?
My husband, John.  He's a constant source of encouragement.  Plus, he works hard to support our family --and my writing habit.
  • Is there any particular writer you know online who is not yet published that you like the work of?
My writing buddy, Lisa Green. She's had stories published online, but doesn't have a book deal --yet.  You can check out her fun blog here.
  • What kind of people would like the stories you write?
I think middle grade boys would enjoy my novel, SPECIAL FORCES. The main character's father is a member of a special forces unit.  The boys I know think that's cool.
Most children would probably enjoy my articles about geocaching, the health benefits of laughter, dirt bike riding, and viewing the international space station.  Links to these articles can be found on my website.
  • Do you have a favorite character or scene from one of your books (it can be either fiction or nonfiction)?
My favorite character would have to be Jake, from my novel SPECIAL FORCES.  This kid has courage and loyalty running through his veins  What's not to love?
  • On those days when you're really down and finding it hard to write anything good, what do you do?  What do you advise others to do in this situation?
Keep writing.  I remind myself that this is a journey, and I'm thankful to be in the game.
  • Since writing is never easy and simply done, what or who keeps you going?
I'm self-motivated. I know that if I don't write a story or an article and submit it, it won't get published.  That's enough to keep my going.  There's a lot of fierce competition out there, and I need to keep learning, creating, and submitting.
  • And lastly, is there anything else you would like to add?
Thanks for the fun interview!  This writng and blogging community  is amazing,and I'm grateful to be in such good company.

Thus ends the first Writer Interviews with Julie Musil.  I hope you found thins interview interesting and learned a few things about one of your fellow writers.  Thanks for joining us today, Julie, and I believe I speak for anyone when I say I wish you the best of luck and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

17 Comments:

Julie Musil said...

Lindsey, thanks so much! That was lots of fun.

Terri Tiffany said...

I really enjoyed finding out more about you Julie. It is sometimes hard to remember who is who so these kind of interviews help!

Martina Boone said...

Loved your interview, Julie. I enjoyed reading about how you got into magazine writing. Yay for a boy book, too! Boy books are in demand these days. As for your novel SPECIAL FORCES, my husband is SF so I will definitely hope to see your book on shelves in the near future :)

Great interview!
Marissa

Unknown said...

Wonderful interview, Julie! Great advice for any writer. I love getting a "behind the scenes" glimpse into other writers' lives. :)

Lindsey Richardson said...

No problem, Julie. It was interesting to learn more about you and now when I read something on your blog about your progress I'll be able to relate more.
I also must say that I think the SF book will be a success. I think all guys are just into that stuff for some reason or another. (I'd know; my brother is in the army and wants to do SF).
-Lindsey

Anonymous said...

Great interview!

Theresa Milstein said...

I'm glad I came over because I learned more about Julie. It's nice to hear from people working hard at writing and submitting instead of those who seemed to have overnight success.

If you run out of people to interview, you can always ask me.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for interviewing Julie. It was interested to find out more about her.

Anonymous said...

What a great interview! I feel like I know Julie much better now.

Lindsey Richardson said...

It's great to hear you guys liked the interview so much. If any of you, like Theresa, are interested in being interviewed please just leave a comment stating so and I'll add you to the list.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful interview!

Mary Curry said...

Wonderful interview, Julie and Lindsey. Julie, it was fun to learn more about you and your writing work ethic. I'm off to check out info about your Math article since I sometimes use Scholastic Math with my class.

Lindsey Richardson said...

Thank you, Mary and Catherine. Glad you guys enjoyed learning more about one of your fellow writers.

Lisa Gail Green said...

AWWWW, Julie, I think you are AMAZING! Thanks for the compliment, I'm all choked up. Great answers! And good questions too!

Lindsey Richardson said...

Lisa: Happy to hear that you liked the questions I asked. (I was worried they weren't going to be good enough, but everybody's been good about them so far).

Susan Fields said...

Wonderful interview - it was fun getting to know Julie better!

Leigh D'Ansey said...

Four great pieces of advice, Julie.

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please take the time to leave one. Thank you!