Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Interview with Cassidy Cornblatt, author of A Broken World


Hello everyone, joining us tonight is Cassidy Cornblatt, author of A Broken World.  His newly released book is now available in bookstores and online to purchase; he has been published by Old Line Publishing.  Tonight he joins us to tell us about his journey.  I'll hope you will join me in welcoming him.  Also, please consider taking a look at his book.
1.)    Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
I am finishing up my freshman year at the University of Maryland, College Park, where I am pursuing a double degree, triple major in Biochemistry, Genetics, and English. I recently published my first book, a young adult fantasy named A Broken World.
2.) Your book, A Broken World, just recently has become available for purchase. How did you begin writing the book, and what/who inspired you to pursue writing?
I started A Broken World when I was sixteen, about a month into my sophomore year of high school. I finished it almost a year later. I had previously started a number of novels, but this was the first one I completed. My love of writing began, as is often the case, with my love of reading. When I was younger, I devoured books, especially those of the fantasy genre. Many times I would finish books in less than a day. Soon I began to write the beginnings of stories, but then I would lose interest after a number of pages. With time, however, I began to write more and more until I eventually finished an entire book.
3.) How is A Broken World different from other fantasy books?
A Broken World does contain many of the hallmark features of fantasy: magic, adventure, even a few dragons; however, it is also a social commentary on the corruption of power and the exploitation of natural resources and indigenous species. In addition, it places emphasis on the importance of respect in society.
4.) Could you tell us the background of the language in A Broken World and how you developed it?
The language I developed for A Broken World was the original language of the planet and is used in spells. Originally, I just created a few random words to use in the spells near the beginning of the book, but then I realized it would make sense to develop a full, coherent language. I started by considering the grammatical aspects such as tenses and then went on to create a large variety of potentially useful words. When designing the words, I tried to make most of them evoke the image or feeling of the object or concept they represented.
5.) What are your plans in the future? Do you plan on writing another book?
I am currently working on the first book in a trilogy set many years after A Broken World. I also have a number of other book ideas that I am toying with for the future. In the meantime, I am attempting to publish a few short stories in literary magazines.
6.) What is your advice to aspiring writers? How were you successful with publication?
Never give up on your writing. Finishing a story is hard enough, but getting it published is far more difficult, especially for a first-time author. Make sure your work is as good as you think it can be, and yes, this means a lot of editing and revision. Do not feel down because of a rejection. Everybody gets them. I was rejected by literary agents twenty-eight times, and I was beginning to give up before I finally found a publisher. You have to believe in your work and just keep on trying.
7.) Thank you for taking the time to be with us today. Is there anything else you'd like to say before you go?
I’d just like to wish all my fellow writers the best of luck, and I hope you all take the time to check out my book.
Thanks for joining us, Cassidy!  It was a pleasure to read your book, and I encourage everyone to search it, google it, whatever it takes to join in on the adventure.
Remember to look for A Broken World on Amazon or at Barnes & Noble.
Lindsey R. Sablowski

Be there for the magic: www.themagiciansseries.blogspot.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please take the time to leave one. Thank you!