Sunday, February 21, 2016

Editing One Chapter at a Time

February has proven to be another very busy month. And this is my first month since September where I'm no longer writing but editing. The difference is huge, and even though I've done this many times before, it's never easy. Edits aren't something that is finished in a day. It is not an easy task, especially when I work full-time five days a week. Some days I come home and just don't have the energy or desire to face my manuscript with a pen. Other days I take a break from it and write down ideas or play out new additions in my head. I'm constantly thinking about my novel, but alas I can't be constantly revising it.
Instead I'll tell you this. My process this time around with editing is a bit more laid back. In the past revisions were a nightmare. They usually are regardless, right? Who looks forward to going through their entire manuscript and picking apart what's right from wrong? The way I did it with the Magicians series forced me to be on a very strict deadline. The deadlines (outside of Cursed With Power) I set for myself, but I set them nonetheless because I wanted to make sure I was releasing a new book every year without missing one. While I accomplished this there were definitely many times during that process that I dreaded editing. That wasn't something I wanted to do with Clara and Claire, especially when with this novel I've learned so much and gained new tactics on the writing process. My friends kindly reminded me that I finished the novel in four months while planning a wedding, going on a honeymoon, and working (obviously). So when it came to revisions this month I decided I needed to give myself a break from my usual demanding deadlines.
This month my revisions have been all about working with one chapter at a time. This helps me get a feel for each chapter individually. I'm not even opening my laptop to go through with what I've already editing in previous chapters. I want to have it all written down and marked up, and then I'll go to my computer and work out what's left over. Perhaps this makes it harder later on for when I have to go through my manuscript on the computer, but I'm actually used to that part. The other part is making notes of things I wanted changed, or don't make sense, or are never explained at the end of the book. There's a lot of work staring at me every night, but I'm not letting it overwhelm me like I've done many times in the past. I'm accepting the work I have accomplished as a success (no matter how small). And at the end of the day --after working, spending time with my hubby and friends, continuing with hobbies and activities I love-- I really do have to take into account the little successes. I have to accept that I'm not a full-time author, and in order for this novel to be its best it will require time. Let's face it, this novel is the first one I've written outside of the Magicians series. So there's a whole world inside of Clara's story that I need to explore in great depth. It's a new world I want to introduce you into, and I want to make sure I'm doing it right.
I really wish there was an app (like the writing ones) to show my progress with revisions, but know that I'm working hard. As always I'm sharing my progress on Instagram , my author FB page, and Snapchat, and those are the best places to follow along! I will try to post more on here with the progress I've made, and let me know if you guys have any suggestions/requests of what you want to hear more about.
Next chapter to edit: chapter 8
Thanks so much to everyone who is following me and supporting me on this new adventure! They always say write the story you're afraid to tell, and I've definitely taken several leaps out of my comfort zone :)
Lindsey Richardson

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please take the time to leave one. Thank you!