Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Behind the Character: Rostland

Imagine living forever, never aging, and never having to fear death. Tonight I'm taking you behind the scenes with the Magicians series to unveil Rostland.
If you've read the sequel, Shadows and Embers, you've already had the pleasure of meeting Rostland. He didn't make any appearance in Cursed With Power, and since I haven't talked about him before on the blog I thought it was time to shine some light on new characters we're meeting along the journey with our Dark magicians. Rostland is a very unique character; he's an immortal man who has been around since the 1300s. His full back story is discussed throughout the series, but there's much more I can share about him.
Why immortality? Honestly, it was something new. When I was working out ideas for the SandE I thought how interesting it would be if there was an immortal man. Immortality has never been something I have written about before, so I was intrigued to come up with a unique way to make Rostland special. Being immortal also means he's not a Dark magician, so throughout the second book we're debating whether Rostland is friend or foe. Let's face it, an immortal man is definitely someone who should be feared.
Like everyone else, my favorites when it comes to male characters in the series so far are Leal and Alaire, but all the same I love the challenge Rostland brings as a character and also the experience and wisdom he is able to share because of how long he has lived.
Can we expect to see more of him as the series continues? We're about to find out with the third upcoming book, but in the mean time if you haven't already catch up on the first two books.

Progress in the third book:
I've made it up to 23k, and chapter nine is half way finished, needs to be typed up, and then the other half needs to be written. Again it seems handwriting the chapters helps me keep the flow moving along, and I run into less obstacles and distractions. Chapter nine will definitely be finished by the end of this week, and at the very least I'd like to reach over 25k before the start of next week. I already have chapter ten roughly outlined, and that's an action-filled chapter so it should be exciting to work through.
Lindsey R. Sablowski

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please take the time to leave one. Thank you!