Friday, November 1, 2013

NaNoWriMo 2013 Begins!


Welcome November! It's the first day, and all of my writing friends have been announcing the start of NaNoWriMo. October seemed to fly by, and it's hard to believe we're already in November. I've been a part of NaNo for five years now. I started back in 2008, writing the story Enjoy the Silence, which I made the horrible mistake of typing up on a typewriter. What was I thinking? Well, clearing I was not. In my mind all that mattered was that I could sit down at my desk with this awesome, classic, old typewriter and write away to my heart's content. Unfortunately, I honestly cannot tell you how much my word count was for that first year. The chapters I did manage to type up are stored away in a folder somewhere. It was a different kind of book for me, since it focused on the story of a girl and her encounter with a ghost. At least I tried something different, right?
In 2009 my selection was a story called Shimmer, which more or less focused on a girl named Allison who discovered she had magic. It wasn't such a great success, and that's all I have to say about that one. That was during the years when I couldn't find a novel I wanted to write and actually finish.

The next year, 2010, I wrote a book titled Stronger. The cover wasn't all that bad, and if you were a follower of my blog at that time I wrote up several posts about it. The story focused on Jocelyn, who was a princess in danger of being killed. She also had her loyal knight by her side, Kerrich, and there was a major twist around the fifth or seventh chapter. 
I'm purposely skipping over 2011 because the novel was not a success at all, and there's no point in me rambling about it.
Punished With DestinyFast forward to 2012, and I wrote the first 50,001 words of what would become the second book in the Magicians series. When I was in NaNo it was titled "Punished With Destiny," but you all know it today as Shadows and Embers. I remember being extremely frustrated with finishing for that year, and I can't remember what happened once I hit 50k, but looking back on it I'm glad I reached the goal. It's amazing to see that now the novel is complete and published. 
This year...
My 2013 selection shouldn't come as a surprise. I've been working on the third book for quite some time now, and I'm entering it into NaNo because I have my goal of 70k to reach and NaNo can help push me toward it. Since I promised myself I was going to keep the title a secret until December I can't reveal any details until next month, but now that the book is in the works and I'm serious on finishing it.
For those of you who are participating this year, I wish you the best of luck. NaNo is a wonderful way to finish a novel that you can later on publish down the road when it's ready. It happened for me, it can happen for you. If I can finish book #3 this month that would be amazing, but even if I just reach 50k that's fine because I can complete the other 20k in December.
Best of luck...and let the writing and madness begin!
Lindsey R. Sablowski

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please take the time to leave one. Thank you!