Saturday, June 25, 2011

R. I. P. Julia Sablowski


The news came to us early this morning.  My grandmother, Julia, passed away.  She was 86 years old...
The death of a loved one is the most difficult part of life to deal with.  We can deny and grieve all we want, but in the end we must accept what has happened.  My grandmother was a truly wonderful women, and for that I believe it is time for someone to reflect on her.

Julia was always a very strong women.  When she got married and her husband went off to war, she stayed at home and watched over their children.  She was religious, a firm believer in God, and she knew how to manage the house whether she was alone or with helping hands.  In her free time she would walk outside and plant flowers, vegetables, fruits... anything.  She loved that garden of hers outside with the large field surrounding it.
She raised four children: Carol, Steve (John), Thomas, and Jean.  She taught them about love, about faith, about respect and duty.  When they were old enough to go out on their own they had children of their own and she became a grandmother.
Despite Julia's amazing talent for always remembering dates --birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, everything--old age one day seemed to overwhelm her and that was when Alzheimer's set in.  Unfortunately, I never saw my grandmother in her prime when she knew everything and everyone.
However, I do have a memory of when I was very young --about seven--and she and I walked through the field in her backyard.  Her cats were outside and they followed us around as I asked her about that field.  I can't remember what she said so many years ago, but what I do remember and won't forget was the smile that flickered across her face as we walked about.

Watching Grandma go was extremely difficult, but what I continue to tell myself is she's with her husband again.  They're together and looking down at all of their children and grandchildren.  At last she can finally rest.

Though she may never know it, I decided when I saw Grandma in the hospital that her spirit should live on in us today.  In my upcoming book New Life I have dedicated a character who reflects Julia.
Rest in peace, Grandma.  We shall miss you.
Be there for the magic: www.themagiciansseries.blogspot.com

4 Comments:

Riv Re said...

((hugs)) I'm so sorry, Lindsey. I understand how hard it is to lose someone close to you. (I lost my grandfather and a childhood friend in the same 12 month time span.) I'm so sorry to hear it. :`(
RIP Julia

Lindsey Richardson said...

*hugs back* Thank you so much, Riv.

Stephanie said...

Lindsey- This is very beautiful! I wish you would of had more time with her like I did. Grandmom was an amazing women and always had a smile on her face. She will be missed but I have to believe we will all meet up again with her someday and she will have that beautiful smile on her face :)

Lindsey Richardson said...

Stephanie: Thank you. You're right, and when we do meet up with her again it'll be good to see that smile again :)

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please take the time to leave one. Thank you!