Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Act of Writing

I admit there are times when I don't know what to do.  As a writer, I experience this problem various times in the day.  When I look at everything I've done, read over what I've written, and look back at where I started it's difficult to determine how to react.  Shouldn't I just be glad I am moving along, getting further?  A part of me is.  A part of me is jumping for joy, amazed with where I've gotten and wants to keep going.  Another part of me, however, is the one that tries to get at me. I am not normally a person with low self-esteem, but when I'm writing it is very easy for me to feel differently about what I've accomplished.  That's not to say I'm unsatisfied with my writing and so forth, but I believe these are just the early stages I am going to experience as I continue waiting.
Patience is something I've always wanted to have, but in many cases I think I convince myself out of it.  In writing I have no real choice.  I have to be patient.  And sure, you're thinking to yourself that really nothing is forcing you to keep your patience.  After six years, I've learned patience is the key to it all.
When I feel disappointed in myself, there is something I remember that kicks me back into gear (so to speak).  I remember that if it is not I myself telling this story, who will?  Though my characters are obviously fictional, I feel like by writing books about them I am bringing life to them and even bringing more life into the time they would have lived.

You know what I've learned?  Despite how many times I feel awful about my own writing talents, at the end of the day I'm still writing.  And because I still am that tells me that this isn't just a one time thing that I'll eventually become sick of.  Trust me, if that were the case it would have happened years ago.  This is something I am pursuing.  It's a dream, a goal, a desire, a life that I yearn to reach.
Stephen King once said that he never thought anyone would read Carrie once it was finished.  While he was teaching at a university he never imagined that thousands upon thousands of people would become intrigued by Carrie White's unusual story, and that because of that book alone he was able to quit his job as a teacher and begin a full time career as an author.
"You can approach the act of writing with nervousness, excitement, hopefulness, or even despair--the sense that you can never completely put on the page what’s in your mind and heart. You can come to the act with your fists clenched and your eyes narrowed, ready to kick ass and take down names. You can come to it because you want a girl to marry you or because you want to change the world. Come to it any way but lightly. Let me say it again: you must not come lightly to the blank page." --Stephen King, On Writing
No matter how hard the act becomes to pursue... I'm going to following Mr. King on this one, and follow after it in any way but lightly.

Be there for the magic: www.themagiciansseries.blogspot.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please take the time to leave one. Thank you!