Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The end of your book



Yet again it's been a while, and I have only myself to blame.  In case you're curious, I've actually been spending most of my time writing New Life and outlining instead of going on the internet.  No worries, I am alive and I have seen your comments/posts.  Thank you for the ongoing support everyone!

Today I'm addressing that question we all ask ourselves over and over again.  When you get to the end of your book, how can you know it's the end.  The question is indeed very important because you have to make a decision about what to do next.
Whether your manuscript is fantasy, romance, horror, or even nonfiction for that matter no one can tell you when you're done.  When you finish your book you'll know.  How cliche, right?  It's true, however, that when you finish your own book you get that feeling.  You should know that it's entirely done, and if you should chose that this is the book you will send out to publishers and agents then you need to make that choice because this is undoubtedly your best work.
The other day someone asked me if I was certain Cursed with Power is the book I want to get published.  I told them that I was certain because I've put my whole heart and soul into that book, and if it isn't my best work then I would not ever dream of having another book come before it.
A lot of times we take what we underestimate ourselves.  We say, "Oh, I just wrote 1000 words it's no big deal."  And you'll tell your friends and family that, but the writing community knows otherwise.  You need to be proud of your work, you need to show all the skill and talent you have.  Yes, you will receive a rejection a few times or maybe multiple times, but you have to believe in yourself and believe in your work. It's a two way street; you must show your work and promote it in order for someone to recognize it for you.

And no matter what anybody tells you, don't pay a publisher.  Take it from somebody who's been there and back, you would not be happy with the outcome.
Find your ending to that book, show the world what you have to offer, and someday who knows maybe we'll be reading your book in a library or bookstore.
Lindsey R. Sablowski

Be there for the magic: www.themagiciansseries.blogspot.com

1 Comment:

firefly114 said...

I know exactly what you mean! When your story is done being told, it's time to end the book, even if you think readers will be angry because they've come to love your characters and want to see what happens after everything is resolved for a bit.

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please take the time to leave one. Thank you!