Sunday, October 23, 2011

Desire to be published

That moment when you're scrolling through your dashboard updates and thinking, "Is everyone published except me?"  Of course you know you're not the only one, but sometimes it can feel like that when you see the people around you being published.
Already several authors from inkpop have made it into the publishing industry, including Leigh (author of Carrier of the Mark) and Amy (author of Saving Elizabeth).  Now sure inkpop has changed significantly over the past couple of months and landing a spot in the top five is anything but easy.  However, we can't really blame our own failure on anyone except...
Us.

Just like you, I've tried to look at it from every view point.  I blamed my characters, my book, the plot, the agents, the publishers... Anything and everything.  Of course the only person I was forgetting to blame was myself.  We don't like admitting to our own faults, but in this case it's something you'll want to accept much sooner rather than later.
So I'll tell you what I've been telling myself.  In order to get published I have to be the best I can be.  And if I don't show everything I have in my manuscript then publishers and agents will walk away from it.  I'm the only one who has control over whether my book is worthy of being published or not.  So sure we can blame whoever we want, but in the end you're the one who has to make a change.  You're the one who has to take that leap of faith and land on your feet, knowing that you'll be okay.  Maybe you don't know everything will turn out okay in the end, but isn't it worth it?
Lindsey R. Sablowski

Be there for the magic: www.themagiciansseries.blogspot.com

1 Comment:

Julie Musil said...

Lindsey, it is a tough road we've chosen, isn't it? At least we can all go through this together :D

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please take the time to leave one. Thank you!