Monday, April 18, 2011

Though I haven't been on blogger for a few several days, I was blown away when I came on today.  It seems like everybody is getting published, has found an agent, or already has hard copies of their book.  Wow!  Who would have imagined that, right?
To be honest, I don't even know where to begin besides just saying that yes I will admit I feel somewhat left out.  I feel like everybody is getting somewhere, and I'm still in the same place I was about six years ago --unpublished, unrepresented, and nowhere close to getting either.  It's not to say I've given up trying or that I will give up trying, but I'm just trying to explain to you how I see it from where I stand.

Every time I look back at this book, I laugh a little at myself and think, "Did I really write this with hopes that it could be published?"  At the same time, though, The Magic of Light was what got me to where I am today --wherever that may be.  If it wasn't for the risk I took in writing this book --despite how young I was at the time-- I may never have really considered writing as a career I could indulge myself into.  Now it is something I cannot imagine living without.
Maybe it does seem I'm behind everyone else because I spent five years with the same book, even though every publisher who was interested was involved in a scandal of some sort.  Or maybe, because like my sister says, I don't write horror like Steven King.  The way I look at is if Mr. King got his work published, then I sure as heck can.  (The man may be a master at writing, but what he writes is just... Oh, where would I even begin?)  
Many of my writing friends are finally finding a way to get their story out to the public.  Leigh Fallon already has hard cover copies of her book and we're all eagerly waiting for the release; Julie Musil found an agent to represent her book; Laura and Evie might not have something published yet, but they got in top five on inkpop numerous times.  And I tell each and every one of them congratulations for the amazing work.  The way I see it is I'll have to keep on trying and who knows, maybe I'll be querying agents for five years with Cursed with Power.  Maybe I'll be querying for the next ten years of my life.  Nobody knows, but what I do know is I'm willing to take a fall so long as I can stand up and try again.
Looking back at comments I've received, my boyfriend is right... I'm too hard on myself.
The cover... is one of the best I've seen here. The look on here face is reallllly intriguing. It's kind of a mix between fear, amazement, seeing something beautiful, and a gazillion more.

I hope to come back and read more. :)

The characters are believable, the "universe" is interesting, and the imagery is great. Good work!

I love this already. I only read the prologue and the first chapter. I loved the beginning of the first chapter. How the reader would have no clue that it was a dream until she realized she was looking at herself. I love the black ash part. That seriously made me want to read more. And so I did. I like how this is written. Such a change from all the realistic fiction I read.

Your writing is beautiful.  This is a well-crafted story with awesome characterization and a storyline that promises adventure.

Characters and Dialogue: they are so realistic! you did a wonderful job with them! they are really believable. I also love the way they talk. You did an absolutely amazing job with the dialogue. That was very realistic as well. dialogue can be a tough spot in some stories but you really nailed it! 

Well now, this is rather interesting. I truly have enjoyed what I’ve read of this so far, and intend to keep reading. The idea of all these dark magicians is intriguing. Celestria has a great voice as the narrator; she tells the story well. It flows nicely, doesn’t move too slow or too fast, and doesn’t leave me confused at all. I like the idea of a Romanian setting. That’s a neat choice. 

After looking back at the comments readers have left me, I do feel somewhat better about the whole situation.  Nonetheless, I'm going to be querying agents nonstop for the next however many months... or years... Wish me luck, as I will wish you if you have not had any success yet.
Read the first book in the Magicians series:
Cursed with Power
Power, love, hearbreak...
Violence, screaming, blood...
His eyes rolled back into his head.  I had done this.
Read the book: link


Be there for the magic: www.themagiciansseries.blogspot.com
Enhanced by Zemanta

3 Comments:

KM Nalle said...

Keep the faith! I've been feeling the same way too, but I'm so happy for everyone who's finally realizing their dreams.

Lindsey Richardson said...

Thank you, Kari. At least we're both in the same spot, eh?

Josiphine said...

I'm not represented yet, I don't even have a book that is good enough or finished enough to be represented. Don't give up hope!

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please take the time to leave one. Thank you!