Thursday, September 13, 2012

Story behind "In the darkness they are flames. In the daylight they are shadows."

I can't remember how long this has been sort of the "short pitch" line for Cursed With Power, but if I had to guess... it's been around for a while.  You've seen it around, but what does it actually mean?  What's the story behind it, and how did it end up being alongside the mentioning of CWP?
Glad you asked.
Now it is true that "in the darkness we are flames, in the daylight we are shadows" is actually a quote directly from the book.  However, originally it wasn't a quote and actually started out as just an idea I had.  The idea of society viewing Dark magicians as "flames" and "shadows" elaborates more of what the story is about.  I don't want to give away anything of course, but anyways, I also feel like this pitch line can be interpreted on your own.  One person may see it as how society views Dark magicians while another might see it as how the Dark magicians view themselves.  In my own, that's the kind of pitch that works out for both the author and readers... it interests you, it keeps you guessing, it allows you to ask the questions and read the book to uncover the answers.

I realize this was a very short post.... But that's because my next post after this is about writing the sequel!
Lindsey R. Sablowski

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please take the time to leave one. Thank you!