Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Getting in a relationship... With your SEQUEL

Writing a sequel to your first book is like getting into a new relationship.  You fell entirely in love with your first book, and now you'll have to start all over again for this upcoming sequel.  It's sad in a way. You have to say farewell to the book you were dedicated to, and dedicate yourself to this new book.

In a way I guess the sequel is like the "new guy" in your life. It sounds cliche, I know, but I'm not kidding. You don't really know where you want to go with the sequel, and even if you do have it outlined... it's still going to take some time. 
It's like a book open just sitting there on your desk, waiting for you to do something with it.
But where am I going with this?
For weeks I've been meaning to talk about what it's like to be writing my upcoming book, sequel to Cursed With Power.  Lately, since I have my own copy of CWP, I've been reading it. For one, I wanted to see what the final product looks like.  Secondly, it's allowed me to reconnect with Celestria.  I'm about halfway through the book, taking my time (since I'm in no rush), and I've realized a lot.  Despite all the struggles, somehow in the end Celestria and I managed to connect in a way I doubt either of us imagined. It's sad to know that with this second book I won't be working with Celestria; I won't be able to connect with her on such a personal level again as I did with the first book.  That is not to suggest I must say a final farewell to her, but in a way it feels like it.
And now the idea of working with Leal on a very personal level is a bit scary and exciting at the same time. While I have the sequel planned out (all the way to the end), it'll be interesting to see where Leal takes me. After all, do we always stay with our plans? The original CWP ending was very different from the final one that made to publication. So who knows, maybe we'll switch it up and this one will have a different ending as well.  Only time can tell.
Here's the sequel.  And speaking of which, I may try to come up with a temporary cover for the time being and actually write a few new chapters.
Coming up next: Bookmarks!
Lindsey R. Sablowski

3 Comments:

ratedKG said...

I totally liked this article of yours!

I've recently visited http://www.words2riches.com. I decided to buy a copy and I'm happy because it's a great decision

Shruti said...

you won't be working with celestria?

oohhh...

*ahem* WRITE FAST WRITE FAST WRITE FAST

Lindsey Richardson said...

I meant that because this book is from a different character's perspective that it will be different.

Haha sorry, I'll get back to doing that.

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please take the time to leave one. Thank you!