Monday, October 25, 2010

Nano starts in a week *runs to hide in a corner*

Let's face it Nano is starting in a week.  The madness, the terror, the nightmares, the constant non-stop writing and writing, and the madness returns.  (Yes, I am aware I mentioned 'madness' twice and that this introduction makes Nano sound just horrifying.)
This is my third year participating in Nano.  At last I have finally come to a decision for the book I am going to write.  In my next post I will introduce the book.  I said 'finally' because you may remember I was between two different books.  However I had to think of the long term process here; I chose the one that will interest me for the longest time.  (Because if pick to write something like I did in the last two years I can kiss goodbye to reaching 50k.)

08 novel: Enjoy the Silence
09 novel: A Shimmering Moon
Let me tell you a little bit about the importance of your decision and why I'm partially running to hide in a corner of my room because I will be writing my nano novel while writing Cursed with Power.  Madness yet?  Not yet --that happens November 1st.
Okay, so Enjoy the Silence was a novel I was stupid enough to type up with a typewriter.  I got through 4 chapters and then Nano was over.  Wow, failure.  I think I pretty much got nowhere with this book because it was a horror story.  In case you didn't know, I'm the worst at telling scary stories.  Sorry I don't have the creative and somewhat --okay very--demented imagination as Stephen King.  No offense to you personally, Mr. King.

Then came A Shimmering Moon.  From looking at the cover you might think, "Wow this is a book to die for!" But I did not get very far with this book, either. I got through three or four chapters and then before I realized it once again Nano was over.  After Nano ended I continued writing the book for a while longer until I all together gave up on it.  The storyline turned into meaningless events.  The main characters mainly continued to spend time with each other.  It felt like the whole time the story was just like, "Here's a moral you can learn." Blah, blah, blah.  I am so glad my writing --and thought process for that matter--has improved since this book.

This year's choice....it's a winner.  (But I don't know if it will get to 50k. I can only hope it will.  God help me...)
Have you decided your Nano novel for this year?  If you're doing Nano you should definitely start thinking of what you want to do because that first day is the hardest.  



Be there for the magic: www.themagiciansseries.blogspot.com

5 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm writing Just Perfect, but I'm considering changing that to Snatched...

Lindsey Richardson said...

Ooh if you write Snatched I so WANT TO READ it. Ahhhh!
--Lindsey

Mariella Cecilia Catherine-Rose Hunt said...

Good luck with NaNo! I'm doing 100k to challenge myself. Was going to 150k but decided to think of school and inkpop too. *needs to write a new blog post to update* XD

Anonymous said...

I'm doing Accidental Princess. I chose one of my longer story ideas on purpose, :D. You can read the summery on the website.

I didn't think A Shimmering Moon was that bad. I enjoyed it, :D.

Last year was the first year I did Nano, and I got 2000 words into it. Epic fail.

Lindsey Richardson said...

Mariella: Definitely let me know when you have that post up.

Tessa: Sounds great; I will read the summary as soon as I can.
Thanks; I'm just saying personally I don't think A Shimmering Moon was one of my greatest. And hey I only got to 3000 words so I'm there with you in the epic fail category.

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please take the time to leave one. Thank you!