Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Nano 2010

I knew that Nano --more properly aka NaNoWriMo--was right around the corner, but when I got an email from the Nano staff today I realized it is coming really soon!  (Yeah, a lot of mixed reactions going on right now, isn't there)?
I've always loved sharing with people what my Nano selection is, and now since I have a blog I can tell all of you, my wonderful, followers, about my selection.
Hopefully this post won't bore you, but if it does please feel free to bore me just as much with your own post like this.

STRONGER is the story that takes a new lead on your typical damsel-in-distress.  Actually, it focuses on the idea of a princess being trained to not become a damsel-in-distress.  If you already think you are interested in this story, you might want to read on.  I'm going to give you the summary next.
To the public view Jocelyn was just a princess.  However, her family knew that she was not "just" an ordinary kind of princess.  She had been trained, and she had been trained well to defend herself.  She was the only heir left to the throne.
"You need to learn this, Jocelyn.  My lady, there won't be much time." Kerrich said.
"I know.  Adela already told me --Dalmas is sending someone to kill me.  I am ready now." Jocelyn said as Kerrich placed the long, thin dagger in her hand.
"There's no telling what they are going to do, dearest Jocelyn.  You are going to have to be careful.  You will have to be brave; do not fail us." He said, almost whispering.  Jocelyn could see that his checks were already getting wet.
"I shall be strong.  I shall not die." Jocelyn promised.
***
Jocelyn heard the door creak open.  She grabbed the dagger that she had placed  on her nightstand, but she remained lying in her bed.  A figure came over to where her bed was.  Its hand came down, holding a shining object, and Jocelyn screamed.  Then the knife went into skin...

The book is going to be an adventure/action/fantasy/mystery/romance kind of novel.  (Whoa, lots of genres there)!  I guess what really inspired me to think of this story was because in pretty much all stories that focus on princesses, the princess always gets kidnapped and then waits for someone to come and save her.  I am not saying anything is wrong with those kind of stories  because I love them as much as the next person.  All I am saying is that here I will try a new tactic.  A new angle.

I chose this story back in May of this year, and so hopefully I will end up staying with this as my Nano selection.  I did have another story I was considering, but I think it would be less of an adventure for myself to write.

Last year I began Nano with a story called Legendary Mordred.  It was going great until I forgot to save the first chapter and the second chapter overwrote it.  Oh, I can't tell you what a mess that was!  I would love to try and write that story again, but I do not believe this year I will attempt to because remembering the good parts I did write for that story is not going to suddenly come to me. 
The book I ended up writing last year was A Shimmering Moon which I can tell you in honesty was not really that good.  First off, it sucked because I did not know what the ending was going to be.  I did not even know half the time what was going to happen next in the chapters themselves.  There were really only two characters I get deeply focused on and both of them were rather... plain?  Boring?  Which explains why I did not make it to 50,000 words with that novel.

Of course, I suppose if I finish Cursed with Power I could write New Life for Nano, but I doubt that is going to happen.  Besides, then I would be getting into the second book of the Magicians series without even having finished the first book correctly and so forth.  (I know no one else will mind, but it will bother me).
Take my advice and write a story you will stay interested in!

2 Comments:

Julie Musil said...

I got your message, and I would be honored to do an interview for your blog! You can send the questions to julie@juliemusil.com. Thanks so much for thinking of me!

I got the same Nano e-mail yesterday. I have another story brewing, and will flesh it out between now and then. I'm super impressed with your story idea, and I think you've got a winner here!

Anonymous said...

OH! WAY TO GO L! You've got two people up to interview. *runs around*

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please take the time to leave one. Thank you!